Friday, October 21, 2011

October 21, 2011... Holy schnipt.

Hey KPeers.
Today was a CRAZAAAY day.
In the morning I had Skye over from dawn 'till noon, I woke up before her, and since she slept in a portable bed, I didn't wake her up when I got up.  I got up and put on my blue snuggly bathrobe, it was soft and furry, not like a towel, I was still wearing the black legging shorts and a shirt that Skye gave me, it was blue and 3/4th length arms, and V-Neck.  Anyhow, I went downstairs and did my Homeschool work for the day.  Then I made waffles for breakfast, assuming Skye would be awake by the time I'm done, or I would wake her up.  I was putting reg. syrup and sugar free syrup (mine) on the table when she woke up.  I smiled at her and said "Morning!  How'd ya sleep!" with a cup of tea in my hand.  We ate the waffles with *sugar free syrup, sugar free blueberries, waffle (obvs:p) and whipped cream (with sugar!)* (<- K's) *syrup, sugar free blueberries , waffle, and whipped cream* (<- Skye's). My Mom then left for work and Skye and I cleaned up, Skye started her schoolwork, and almost finished it, I made a apple pie and put it in the oven.  Skye said she would finish her reading on our picnic.  We went to our "SPECIAL" place in the woods behind my house.  My grandmother own some 40+ acres, and we bought a small section of her land to build our house when we left Limerick, Maine.  She lives next to us.  Back to the blog. Our special spot is a little spot (obvs), just big enough to fit a picnic blanket (or lack thereof, we used a Winnie The Pooh throw-over blanket), and from there you can see down into a valley(ish) that is rather small and probably only 50ft high in total.  In our special spot (I really don't want to keep writing Special Spot, so let's call the Special Spot [even though I just said it... twice] the Spesh Shpot.  Yeah I like that) there are three oak/pine trees surrounding the spot. In the south and west!  The Spesh Shpot now features a little tent made out of sticks, in between the two south trees.  It's not very spacious, but it's cute.  You can see right down into the valley at our Spesh Shpot because the Spesh Shpot is on the high ground above the valley.  It was very beautiful when there was a lot of foliage out.  I took videos but I lost my camera cord so I can't upload yet!  I love the Spesh Shpot.  So when we came back to my house, the pie was done, and my brother took it out of the oven when it needed to be, just like I asked him. Good!  Skye got picked up and embarked on journey to who-knows-where visiting her dad at his business trip for a couple days. So I was left alone to do cooking for tonight, when we were going to have a family dinner, at 5:00 pm.  It succeeded and I got frustrated a lot (and almost threw a spoon at my cat).  So I am risking (as Julie Powell said) "My cat's well-being." Except she said a lot of other stuff too, but that is the only part that is relevant to my situation! So it will have to do.  Speaking of which! I've recently watched 'Julie and Julia' in which Julie Powell wrote a book on her internet blogging experience of 524 recipes in 364 days.  Cooking through Julia's cookbook, 'Mastering the Art of French Cooking.' That's where I got my inspiration for writing this blog.  Oh believe me, I KNOW I'm not going to do anything as heroic or creative (or daring [those lobsters are dangerous!]) as Julie Powell, but I can still project my feelings through this weird blog site where people are put up on the internet thinking they'll get many views like Julie Powell but soon realized their hopes and dreams of sharing the written word with the lives of million will soon be crushed (and yes I got that quote from 'The Proposal'.  I don't see why I should not use it if I cite it!).  Moving on... The dinner was amazing, my sister-in-law made chicken, and mashed potatoes from potatoes that her grandparents (I think) grew themselves.  The potatoes were very delicious.  So was the chicken, I made stuffing, steamed broccoli, a veggie platter, two pies, apple and pumpkin (the pumpkin was made from real pumpkin, I didn't use canned pumpkin.  Now that I think of it, the apple pie was made from scratch too, now that gets me thinking.  What about canned apple? Glech...) and baked some of the pumpkin seeds I got from the pumpkin with seasoning.  I was very full after, but wanted to cook more!  I love having an apron secured tightly around my waist, thinking about what will happen if I add a little less, or a little more, or subsitute for something healthier, or yummier.  I want to pursue this hobby.  I am planning on getting a copy of Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child, Simone Beck, and Louisette Bertholle to borrow until christmas, when I'm hoping someone will get me my OWN copy!  Before I came up into my room to lay on my bed and talk to you all (or none) about my exciting day, I watched two episodes of Julia Child's French Cooking!  She's hilarious!  She first threw a bone onto the counter behind her (klonk, then started hacking at it with a meat cleaver (ooer), then threw a part of celery into the sink (ker-plunk), then to top it all off, she used a blow torch on a apple-crepe dessert! I thought she was great, I think I'm going to be cooking a lot from Julia's cookbook, then I'll go and watch the videos to know how to do it!  I guess I'll turn in for the night, and dream about what adventures tomorrow will bring!

Laters KPeers <3

1 comment:

  1. Hey Katie. I had a great time with you and I'm glad dinner was good. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I miss you.

    ReplyDelete